Skip to main content

Never another like him.

  1. Catharsis (from the Greek κάθαρσις katharsis meaning "purification" or "cleansing") is the purification and purgation of emotions—especially pity and fear—through art or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration.

I had not written, have not written in so long. It was probably laziness.
I wanted to write, as I had been so overwhelmed with my own turmoils all throughout 2014. 2015 is a little better though. 

2014 was tedious, long and treacherous. I crawled through it, and time slowed down for me. Meds didn't seem to work. But surely writing could have helped. 

I write because LKY has died and I have.. not mixed emotions but more of a sense of loss in my own life. I have never met the man but even now, I feel disappointed as I had never seen him nor spoken to him face to face. He was always only real to me when I was studying him in my SEA classes. I only knew him for what he did, or more specifically, what others wrote that he did. 

And in those classes I grew to respect/fear him. The audacity in which he led this nascent city-state, the fearlessness he displayed, and the ruthless way he dispatched of his adversaries. The good ol' ISA that we students were taught time and again to use in our essays as examples of the man he was, and the Singapore he led.

With a single word, Mom calls him a visionary. I didn't think that was enough, that word was too cheap to be used on such a titan. People have visions. Ordinary folk can dream great dreams of flying cars and future utopias. Leaders can declare golden promises of the future. But LKY created the present I live in today. It is so real, it is all too real.

I think about it, and I understand those who weep. Perhaps many of them weep for that is how they deal with loss, but I believe many weep because of the real, genuine, beneficial impact he had on their lives. He fought so hard that even today I can bear witness to his tenacity, even though I never witnessed him speak as Prime Minister. 

I write today because I feel this is the best way to honour him. For only personal reasons. For someone to have had such an impact on my life, and I to have never met that person, has left me empty. To have been on the receiving end of this... impersonal, distant relationship, while I have never given anything back, seems wrong. Catharsis is necessary. I write this because catharsis is natural, and writing this piece is my way of giving back to what he has given me indirectly. Given us Singaporeans.

LKY was a dictator. He stayed in power for over 50 years, sentenced people to jail/house-arrest/that one guy on Sentosa, ruled with his 'knuckle-dusters', silenced critics, sued others, consolidated power and established himself as The Prime Autocrat. 
But Kings were dictators too. And kings were labeled as good or bad based on how they ruled their kingdom. Good kings put their people first, good kings wouldn't allow corruption or nepotism to control their kingdoms. Good kings made good kingdoms. 

Lee Kuan Yew was not a king. But he ruled Singapore like a good king, a benevolent dictator. He understood the sacrifices and compromises we had to make, and he made them. 

So much based on the actions of a single man. 
The weight that had to be on his shoulders.
Take a rest Mr Lee, 
You've more than earned it. 

-'The old king is dead...'-


25/03/15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thematic summary of When It Changed by Joanna Russ

Joanna Russ’ When It Changed centers on a human society made entirely up of women on a planet called ‘Whileaway’. The human colony is void of men because of a plague that occurred thirty generations ago. The females that remained after the plagued managed to survive without the males by a process that sees the merging of ova. This allowed women to reproduced with women, taking away the need for penetrative reproduction and thereby making redundant the role of men in the human reproductive cycle. The story begins when four Russian astronauts arrive on Whileaway. All four of them are male, which makes them the first 4 men that have set foot on the planet in hundreds of years. Their arrival has a profound effect on the women they meet, and we see this effect from the perspective of Janet, a thirty-four-year-old woman that is married to Katy, with whom she has three children. Upon meeting the four men, Janet is immediately taken aback by their physical size – “They are bigger than we ar

Thematic Summary of The Star by H.G. Wells

H.G. Well’s wrote The Star in 1897, but apocalyptic/disaster fiction had already existed for thousands of years. Well, the authors didn’t think they were writing fiction, but nevertheless, they were still writing speculative ‘non-fiction’. A quick Wikipedia look-up on Google will tell you that hundreds of seers have prophesized the end of mankind. Unfortunately, fortunately, they have all been wrong! Yet, these countless predictions prove a point about our very own human nature: many of us have fetishized the ‘end of the world’. Christians call it the rapture. Vikings called it Ragnarok. Others called it the Apocalypse. All these stories about our eventual end on this earth have a common thread: there is some greater reason for our end to occur – most of the time, it involves the triumph of good over evil. This is where The Star differs in its narrative. Instead of focusing on some grand narrative of good gods achieving a final victory over the forces of evil, it sticks to d

Inheritance [Balli Kaur Jaswal]

I really shouldn't attempt to write this... as if this were an assignment due on Monday. It isn't, so I shall not.  Two days - it took me this to finish my first SingLit novel, as far as I can recall.  It was about a family who goes through tough times. This family was Sikh. This family was Singaporean. This family felt, for a few heart-wrenching seconds, like my own.  Dalveer and Harbeer have three children: Gurdev, Narain, and Amrit. Karam is Harbeer's nephew, but he doesn't get to be a narrator in the story, so, screw him. Also, he's an asshole.  We see their story unfold over a period of twenty years - this is paralleled by Singapore's own growth as a nation. We see the effects of rapid industrialisation on the nascent city state, and we begin to identify some of the more... unspoken problems faced by its people. In its endeavour to grow, advance, burgeon -- people, genuinely good people, are left behind. In our  struggle for success, the few am