Skip to main content

Montaigne

"We are richer than we think, each one of us."

--- 

It's easier, you say, 
it's easy to love and be loved - 
just look to the empty sky, 
that is how much God loves you. 

Ah, the sky,
the open blue sky. 
Beyond, they've found new life. 

Planets in about an infinity yonder - 

How I wish we found life there, 
that would shut you up wouldn't it. 

Would it? 

I had assume it would, but now I'm not entirely sure. 

Some apologist in torn jeans and a t-shirt would probably say, 
say into his wireless microphone attached to his face, 
say,

"Oh the wonder of our God" 
"How great and awesome our God truly is for creating this marvellous universe." 
"That our God would be so magnificent as to create entire other planets for us to share our love with, and his message of kindness and goodness." 

Inter-planetary prophets,

all the while forgetting about the time, you know, 
when we thought the earth was flat,
when we thought the sun stood still,
when we thought everything revolved around the earth,
when we thought that snakes had legs,
when we thought that men were men,
and showing any sort of deviance from the mean meant death. 

When we were supposed to be God's special children. 
Not the most specials, of course,
He loved the Jews most. 
Of course! 
Why wouldn't he? 
Yeshua, El Shaddai,
why wouldn't He love the ones who gave him such fantastical names? 

---

Yet we look to a thousand year old,
two thousand year old book and we believe it wiser than any fathomable piece of text. 
And we use it to teach and scold and chide and enforce,
because it makes us feel safe and hopeful. 
Because it is right and it's always been right and no one can say anything about that and that is final. 

and we forget, 
that each of us is richer. 

I screamed, or I imagine myself screaming into an endless void hoping for a wiser being to respond. 
To touch me with some enlightenment. Touch me right here -
on my heart. 
That's where my sorrow lies, that's where my river flows. 
Touch me there, and leave a mark, 
I pray. 

Be merciful and kind, 
Father, 
be all that I need you to be. 
I am empty and weak and helpless, 
and it is only through you that I find my strength. 


Yet,
each of us is richer. 
richer than we think. 
each of us.

I looked to the void for answers for I thought that within me was an empty well. 
The void returned only echoes,
but from within me sprung forth hope and life. 
From within I sought, for the first time, the sublime. 

That something holy and sanctified, no longer necessarily outside of myself, 
but found inside me, 
something that I could construct and keep for my own, 
like the gift I made my mother when I was just a child. 

Richer than we think
Each of us

Richer than what we've been given credit for,
by the powerful and the insecure. 

None of them understanding our true might -
yes, those that side against those that built Babel. 

Richer than what we've imagined ourselves to be - 
build higher, 
wider, 
deeper,

look across space and the final frontier,
see how much we can do,
and dream 

and dream 


and from within yourself, 
find enough strength 
to do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thematic summary of When It Changed by Joanna Russ

Joanna Russ’ When It Changed centers on a human society made entirely up of women on a planet called ‘Whileaway’. The human colony is void of men because of a plague that occurred thirty generations ago. The females that remained after the plagued managed to survive without the males by a process that sees the merging of ova. This allowed women to reproduced with women, taking away the need for penetrative reproduction and thereby making redundant the role of men in the human reproductive cycle. The story begins when four Russian astronauts arrive on Whileaway. All four of them are male, which makes them the first 4 men that have set foot on the planet in hundreds of years. Their arrival has a profound effect on the women they meet, and we see this effect from the perspective of Janet, a thirty-four-year-old woman that is married to Katy, with whom she has three children. Upon meeting the four men, Janet is immediately taken aback by their physical size – “They are bigger than we ar

Thematic Summary of The Star by H.G. Wells

H.G. Well’s wrote The Star in 1897, but apocalyptic/disaster fiction had already existed for thousands of years. Well, the authors didn’t think they were writing fiction, but nevertheless, they were still writing speculative ‘non-fiction’. A quick Wikipedia look-up on Google will tell you that hundreds of seers have prophesized the end of mankind. Unfortunately, fortunately, they have all been wrong! Yet, these countless predictions prove a point about our very own human nature: many of us have fetishized the ‘end of the world’. Christians call it the rapture. Vikings called it Ragnarok. Others called it the Apocalypse. All these stories about our eventual end on this earth have a common thread: there is some greater reason for our end to occur – most of the time, it involves the triumph of good over evil. This is where The Star differs in its narrative. Instead of focusing on some grand narrative of good gods achieving a final victory over the forces of evil, it sticks to d

Inheritance [Balli Kaur Jaswal]

I really shouldn't attempt to write this... as if this were an assignment due on Monday. It isn't, so I shall not.  Two days - it took me this to finish my first SingLit novel, as far as I can recall.  It was about a family who goes through tough times. This family was Sikh. This family was Singaporean. This family felt, for a few heart-wrenching seconds, like my own.  Dalveer and Harbeer have three children: Gurdev, Narain, and Amrit. Karam is Harbeer's nephew, but he doesn't get to be a narrator in the story, so, screw him. Also, he's an asshole.  We see their story unfold over a period of twenty years - this is paralleled by Singapore's own growth as a nation. We see the effects of rapid industrialisation on the nascent city state, and we begin to identify some of the more... unspoken problems faced by its people. In its endeavour to grow, advance, burgeon -- people, genuinely good people, are left behind. In our  struggle for success, the few am